Knob & Tube Wiring in Marlborough
Serving Middlesex County Since 1984
If you own an older house that was built prior to 1950, you may have a unique type of wiring in your home called knob and tube wiring. This standardized method of wiring consists of wires running through tubes that are inserted into holes in wooden floor joists. The wires are held in place by porcelain knobs that keep them from touching the wood. The team at Middlesex Cooling & Heating, Inc. is fully experienced with this kind of wiring and can assist you if you’re experiencing problems or need something rewired.
Our Marlborough knob and tube wiring team is backed by over 35 years of experience and understands the complexities of these projects. This type of wiring is no longer used in new homes, yet it also doesn’t need to be removed or replaced. There are just certain particular precautions and methods that need to be adhered to when dealing with it. Many electrical companies may not be very familiar with how to approach repairs or rewiring projects such as these. We’ve got you covered.
Contact us at (508) 214-4445 to learn more about our knob and tube wiring services in Marlborough. We proudly service all of Middlesex County.
Some problems that can lead to a short circuit or overheating of your knob and tube wiring include:
- Insulation – It’s important that any insulation is always kept away from this type of wiring, as it requires open air space. Close proximity can lead to fires, as the wires give off a lot of heat that builds up when electricity is flowing through.
- Alterations – Many electrical companies who are not equipped to repair this wiring will take shortcuts or try to make alterations to the wiring. Because this is an old-style of wiring, often replacement parts are not easily available, which is why some electricians will provide makeshift fixes.
- Excessive use – Homes use quite a bit more electricity these days than they did when knob and tube wiring was being installed. This can lead to the wiring system becoming overheated as a result of struggling to keep up with the demand.
- Damage – Because knob and tube wiring is exposed, it can be damaged more easily than other wiring.
- Brittle insulation – This insulation on knob and tube wiring can dry out over time and can start to flake off.
It’s important that you hire a professional that has a thorough understanding of this type of wiring. Trying to fix it yourself or hiring an ill-equipped team could increase the risk of shock or fire.
How Do I Know If I Have Knob and Tube Wiring?
The average American doesn’t think too much about their electrical system until they have to. Most people don’t realize they might have a different system than the regular home. Many homes built before the 1950’s have knob and tube wiring. To check if you have this sort of system, check your attic or basement for white, ceramic knobs. Electrical wires will snake through the knobs to support the wiring strands and the tubes will protect loose wires.
At Cotti-Johnson, our Marlborough electricians have experience working with knob and tube wiring. We have the tools and knowledge to carefully repair and maintain such an electrical system, something not every electrician can boast. And when you’re ready to upgrade, we’ll be here for you too!
Trust the Middlesex Team
You have several options when it comes to electricians in Marlborough, but few offer the experience and dedication to quality that Middlesex Cooling & Heating, Inc. provides. We offer free estimates, same-day service appointments, and discounts for military personnel. There is no problem too big or small for our team, so reach out to us for quality, professional solutions.
Our Marlborough knob and tube wiring team is standing by to help you. Contact us today!
Overall they were great and will use again in the future!- Erin D.
We will absolutely use them again and highly recommend them.- Jennifer Z.
He will be the guy I call whenever I need a plumber.- K M.
I highly recommend this company for heating and AC.- Debra H.